Skip to main content

Did I Say That?

"How could it be that you get diagnosed with ADHD at 42 years old?"

Good question. Maybe at some point in the future, this disorder will be called something else because it's hard to believe what's happening to me is the same illness that hyper little boys experience. We may both be suffering through executive function misfirings, but the symptoms are so different. As far as I can see, though, the treatment is the same. So, maybe that's all that matters.

After Wylie was born, I had a setback in my career because I couldn't make my brain do the job. There were large documents full of medical terminology and my brain didn't want to slow down and concentrate on all those words. I drank as much coffee as I could to keep each protocol from spilling into the next, each chart color coded, and each patient distinguished from the other. I had such a hard time that I went back to my old therapist to ask if I could get neuropsych testing. She asked me, "How old are you?" and proceeded to present a narrative where I had typical mid-life forgetfulness, "baby brain" that all mom experience, and depression that makes everybody's minds a little foggy. The problem with that story is that there's no solid resolution to my concerns. It's more of a wait-it-out and suck-it-up diagnosis. 

My psychiatrist had only known me a short time and was still working on her diagnosis of my mental state. She didn't know me before Wylie. She heard my halting, forgotten descriptions and disjointed stories. She thought it was God's cruel joke that people with ADHD have anxiety, as well. 

When I think back over my life, it's been hard to find the ways in which this disorder has affected me. I left a cult, I went to college, I've been the organizing force in every single one of my relationships and jobs. But, then I also remember the times my sister quoted me something that I'd said the day before, and I'd have no memory of saying it. In college, there were classes I had to take twice because I couldn't get through the reading material. So, the memory and concentration issues were there. And then there's the fact that I've moved twice, across country, knowing no one, having no job, and very little money. If my gut tells me, "Go!", I've felt compelled to leap off the cliff. That probably speaks of impulsivity and lack of ability to plan.

Today is my second day on my third ADHD medication. Fingers crossed that it's not just early onset Alzheimer's.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Irritability

Last night was date night for my wife and I. Cheap babysitting at our regular daycare available from 5pm to midnight. My wife and I went out to dinner and had great wine, sumptuous food, and best of all, there was nobody screaming throughout. I was happily asleep by 10pm, and then this morning, my son slept a whole hour late. We're having a fairly good time together. Well, if you don't mind being interrupted every 30 seconds with things being broken or crashing to the floor (or both). My calm inner self, so carefully crafted by last night's cocktails and crab cakes, has vanished. In it's place, just 20 minutes in, is an irritable mind already aching for nap time--already craving more time away. I miss peace that lasts long enough for my own thoughts to gather naturally, meander, and come up with other thoughts borne out of quiet contemplation. That kind of introspective creativity doesn't happen much around here anymore because there's just so little quiet. ...

The Destroyer

Many times, over the past two years plus, have I thought about the idea of creatures that die after giving birth. I usually have the image of the Walking Stick insect, but I think they actually die after having sex. I mean, the male does. I think about this concept because I find myself utterly spent in the process of producing this child of mine. After I've made him food and he's spit it out, and then I've re-made him whatever , and then the chocolate milk in the spouted sippy cup, which then gets poured out unceremoniously on the living room carpet, then cleaning up said mess, finding more of  whatever  liquid he thinks he wants, etc., ad nauseum, I have literally nothing more to give. Not to my spouse, not to myself. What I want is to lay on a bed in a locked room with no noise for a very long time. Which is much like death, it seems. I used to make art, things of beauty or at least of interest. Now, I clean up after The Destroyer, if I have any energy left at all. A...

Mornings

This is how we start our days. We sit on our rapidly - degrading couch and melt our brains watching varying degrees of terrible kids' TV. I'm not sure how other families deal with super early risers, but this is how I cope. Today, it was 4am, screeched himself back to sleep and then up for the day at 5:39, which is good enough for me.